MGRC Job Board
Minnesota Turkey Growers Association/Minnesota Turkey Research and Promotion Council
The Minnesota Turkey Growers Association (MTGA) is a trade association representing the turkey farming industry in Minnesota. MTGA’s members include independent and integrated turkey growers, turkey processors, breeders, and allied members. MTGA’s mission is to enhance the success of the Minnesota turkey industry through public outreach, member engagement and strong advocacy with legislators and regulators. The Minnesota Turkey Research and Promotion Council (MTRPC) oversees the Minnesota turkey checkoff funds. MTRPC promotes healthy practices for growers, processors, breeders and consumers through research and advancing public education about the turkey industry.
The Minnesota Turkey Growers Association (MTGA) and the Minnesota Turkey Research and Promotion Council (MTRPC) are seeking an Executive Director to provide leadership for the organization, serve as an industry spokesperson and manage the implementation of key programs.
- Legislative/Regulatory Leadership. Work with the MTGA lobbyist and membership to manage state legislative and regulatory issues and influence policy makers. Work in collaboration with the National Turkey Federation to monitor and assist with federal issues. Generally serve as lead liaison with governments and other associations.
- Media Relations. Serve as industry spokesperson and lead media contact. Manage external communications and develop relationships with key media outlets.
- Membership Engagement. Lead the planning and implementation of MTGA membership outreach activities, ensuring that programs and events align with member expectations for format and content. Develop short- and long-term strategies to ensure sustained value to members of the work of the MTGA/MTRPC.
- Membership Communications. Oversee the production of regular membership communications across multiple platforms and ensure the association provides a useful website and meaningful annual reports. Ensure proper and timely distribution of disease alerts and other time-sensitive information.
- Research Program. Oversee the Turkey Checkoff administration and manage the research program, ensuring that diverse member expectations are met, and that research is properly prioritized and shared among members.
- Public Education. Promote the turkey industry to public audiences to improve understanding and awareness of key messages.
- Boards of Directors (for both MTGA and MTRPC). Support board leadership in planning regular board meetings. Oversee proper notice and communication about board activities. Assist in strategic recruitment and on-boarding of new board members.
- Administration. Supervise office staff, oversee proper submission of payroll bi-weekly, proper tracking of employee benefits, time allocations and expense reimbursement. Oversee business, health, workers comp insurance.
- Budget and Legal Responsibilities. Develop and manage budgets and ensure proper administration of financial obligations. Review accounting and financial statements. Ensure that MTGA/MTRPC activities follow association policies and that the organization complies with required government filings and other legal obligations.
- Experience working in a trade association, public policy organization, or government office
- Excellent communication skills and demonstrated ability to collaborate
- Prior organizational financial management and budget experience
- Ability to build trust among members of a diverse membership organization
- A bachelor’s degree in public policy, organizational management or communications
- An understanding of Minnesota’s agriculture industry
- High level of integrity and personal ethics
- Executive director, trade association or non-profit experience
- Experience working with the media, acting as a spokesperson and managing external messaging
- Familiarity with animal science research programs
- Event management experience
- Fundraising skills
- People management experience
- Experience with QuickBooks
This is a full-time position, with the opportunity to work remotely some of the time.
Must be able to travel to attend meetings, conferences and other events, as needed.
The salary range for this position is between $80,000 to $100,000, depending on qualifications.
The deadline for applications is February 14, 2020.
How to Apply
Send your resume via email to:
Please include “MTGA Executive Director Position” in the subject line of your email.