MGRC Job Board
Apparatus is women-owned Minnesota General Benefit corporation specializing in government relations, strategic communications, and political advocacy.
Apparatus Seeking Legislative Assistant
Position Overview: The Legislative Assistant will aid our team at the Minnesota Legislature and support day-to-day lobbying activities and related client services during the 2020 legislative session (February through May). We’re looking for a strategic, organized, and self-motivated person with excellent communication skills who wants to be part of a creative and multidisciplinary public affairs practice.
About Apparatus: Apparatus is a women-owned Minnesota General Benefit Corporation specializing in government relations, strategic communications, political strategy, and advocacy. Our organizational mission and mandate is to advance the common good by working to build support for and, ultimately, to catalyze investments, policies, and programs that support the health, sustainability, and vitality of our communities, environment, and economy.
We are uniquely multidisciplinary, combining our team’s professional experience and expertise in law; public policy design; legislative and administrative advocacy; project and campaign design, planning, and management; strategic planning; coalition-building and management; community engagement; grassroots advocacy; strategic communications and marketing; creative strategy and design; and public and media relations. Learn more about us at apparatusmn.org.
Key Responsibilities: Under the direction of Apparatus’ principals, the Legislative Assistant will:
- Schedule, attend meetings, and develop and maintain relationships with legislators, legislative and agency staff, and lobbyists and other representatives for a range of stakeholder groups.
- Maintain regular communications with clients and their partner organizations
- Monitor, attend, and prepare notes and reports of committee hearings and other events
- Monitor, track, and report on legislative activities including bill introductions and progressions
- Research and prepare reports on a range of legislative, administrative, legal, and other policy issues
Required Qualifications & Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree and/or experience in legislative, campaign, or policy work
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Strong planning, organization, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with hard deadlines and frequent demands outside normal business hours
- A commitment to excellent client service
Preferred Qualifications & Skills:
- Knowledge of Minnesota laws pertaining to education, agriculture, beer, and/or cannabis
- Experience planning and executing large-scale advocacy events (e.g., lobby days)
Term & Compensation: This is a session-only position which will begin in early February 2020 and end in late May 2020, with the possibility of a contract extension or full-time position depending on performance and our needs. Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 14, 2020.