MGRC Job Board
The Nature Conservancyhttps://www.conservationminnesota.org/employment-opportunities/
Conservation Legislative Assistant
Conservation Legislative Assistant
Position with The Nature Conservancy and Conservation Minnesota:
This is a position jointly managed by The Nature Conservancy Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota Chapter and Conservation Minnesota. Under the direction of the Government Relations Manager at The Nature Conservancy (TNC) and the Policy Director at Conservation Minnesota (CM), the Legislative Assistant will aid in advancing the legislative agendas of both TNC and CM at the Minnesota Legislature by supporting the day-to-day government relations activities of both organizations. Legislative experience is preferred but not required.
TNC & CM
About Conservation Minnesota
From our four “real” seasons to our 10,000 lakes, the Great Outdoors defines life here. It is where many of our most cherished memories are created with family and friends. Passing our experiences and traditions on to our children, being good stewards of our land and lakes—these are values that we all share. At Conservation Minnesota & the CM Voter Center, we turn your love of Minnesota’s Great Outdoors into the laws that protect it. We focus on solving the conservation problems that Minnesotans tell us are important, and provide people with information and opportunities to help.
About The Nature Conservancy
Founded in 1951, the Nature Conservancy is a global conservation organization dedicated to conserving the lands and waters on which all life depends. Guided by science, we create innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world's toughest challenges so that nature and people can thrive together. We are tackling climate change, conserving lands, waters and oceans at unprecedented scale, providing food and water sustainably and helping make cities more sustainable. One of our core values is our commitment to diversity. Therefore, we strive for a globally diverse and culturally competent workforce. Working in 72 countries, including all 50 United States, we use a collaborative approach that engages local communities, governments, the private sector, and other partners. To learn more, visit www.nature.org or follow @nature_press on Twitter.
- Under direction of the Government Relations Manager (TNC) and Policy Director (CM), schedule and attend meetings with members of the Minnesota legislature
- Attend relevant committee hearings and take notes to report back to Legislative Team member
- Prepare written reports, coalition letters, and background materials in support of TNC and CM legislative objectives
- Monitor and track legislative activity including bill introductions, committee hearing notices and bill tracking
- Develop and maintain relationships with key legislators, legislative and agency staff, members of other environmental and conservation groups, other stakeholders, and TNC and CM staff
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, environmental sciences, public policy, or conservation-related field
- Fluency in English
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Experience using Microsoft Excel, Outlook, and Word
- Flexibility and willingness to work outside normal business hours as needed during the legislative session
- Experience in state legislative, campaign, or policy work, preferably in Minnesota
- Knowledge of Minnesota conservation, environmental, energy, natural resources laws
- Experience working in a non-profit, government, or advocacy setting
- Experience scheduling meetings and managing multiple calendars
- Self-starting, independent worker who can thrive in a decentralized organization with minimal oversight
Tenure & Compensation
This is a legislative session-only position which will begin on or about February 1, 2020 and end by June 1, 2020 OR at an end date to be negotiated after the conclusion of the 2020 Minnesota Legislative Session. Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. We will review applications on a rolling basis.